Winter advice for Members
Posted on: 20 December 2016
Written by: Charlie Marshall
The Cardboard Citizens office will be closed across the festive season from Wednesday 21 December and will re-open on Tuesday 3 January. Please read on for our advice if you need information, help or housing over the festive period.
If you need support urgently when we are closed, please try the following:
In a housing crisis
- Call Shelter's helpline on 0808 800 4444 for housing issues such as facing eviction or if you have nowhere to stay right now. Shelter's helpline is open 8am to 8pm on weekdays and 8am to 5pm on weekends, 365 days a year
- Visit Crisis Skylight on 66 Commercial Street to register and access their support and services
- Access Dellow Centre, where you can get advice or support if you’re facing sleeping rough. Address: 82 Wentworth St, London E1 7SA, Phone: 020 7375 0020, Hours: 9am–5pm
- Night Shelters – Check out the London Winter Shelter Guide for details of your nearest night shelter network and their requirements.
- Streetlink – if you or anyone you know is rough sleeping, call StreetLink on 0300 500 0914. Their phone line is often busy, so also refer through their website or their App
Other urgent legal issues
- Call Civil Legal Advice on 0845 345 4345 for free legal advice if you are eligible for legal aid
More general emotional support
- Samaritans helpline – Call 08457 90 90 90 if you or anyone you know just feels they need to talk to someone, including if you are feeling suicidal
Crisis Day Centres will be open from noon on 23 December and close by 9pm on 29 December. Opening hours are 9am until 9pm and centres are located:
- North London – Westminster Kingsway, 211 Grays Inn Rd, Kings Cross, London WC1X 8RA
- East London – City Academy Hackney - Homerton Row, Hackney, London E9 6EA
- South London – City of London Academy, 240 Lynton Rd, London SE1 5LA
- South East London – Lewisham College, 2 Deptford Church Street, Lewisham, London SE8 4RZ
- West London – Kensington Aldridge Academy, 1 Silchester Rd, London W10 6EX
Crisis residential Rough Sleepers Centres are open 24 hours and provide sleeping facilities for guests from 23 December until the morning of 30 December.
Crisis are running five residential shelters across London this year – for more information visit one of their day centres and speak to a member of staff.
We look forward to seeing you all in 2017.